Pages

Monday, November 16, 2009

Movies about Books


As I was working on my Jane Austen Challenge, I found myself returning more then once to the Jane Austen Book Club. Which is a movie about books.
And it got me thinking of the movie the Ninth Gate which is also a movie about a book.
In this case, a book written by the devil on how to bring him into flesh.
The movie is also based on a book.

What is it you think that draws us to books? To the idea of the written word? To the need to have them?
Is it the knowledge they hold, or is it the idea of what they might evoke? Wither we are reading a text book on math, a cookbook, a steamy romance or a religious text, books somehow bring out another side of us. And let's us get lost in that particular world for awhile.

The message in the movie Ninth Gate is one of caution. The book that Johnny Depp's character is chasing after is one that unlocks a puzzle to the gods. In turn, it unlocks a part of him that he didn't even know existed. Sometimes, when we go hunting for the answers, the answers are hunting for us.

1 comment:

  1. I loved the movie but I haven't read the book. Maybe I should. Doylene

    ReplyDelete