Pages

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Fearless Female Journalists by Joy Crysdale


This is part of a series by Second Story Press  called "The Women's Hall of Fame Series"

It's a thin volume of 118 pages.  But do not let that fool you.
This entry to the series packs a punch.  It gives a brief overview of the hardships that many of the women who dared to become a voice of their generation had to battle.

From Mary Ann Shadd Cary who wrote about ending slavery, to Margaret Bourke-White who was one of the first photo-journalists, to sports journalist Pam Oliver to many others, this book is a brief history of women in the media for the last 200 years.

I received this book about two and a half months ago, and have been carrying it around with me ever since, trying to get to it but having deadlines on other books, and it kept getting put back into my pile.  Or more rightly, my purse, as I did carry it around with me while I did my other reviews.  I finally had a chance this morning to get to it, and was more then glad I did.

Thought provoking, touching, enlightening and over all powerful.  It made me remember why I had started my own career in Broadcasting so many years ago.  The only difference is I did not have the guts to stick it out, unlike the courageous women who broke down the barriers and crashed open the doors for the rest of us.

Joy Crysdale has managed to turn a collection of biography profiles and essays into a collection of strength and dignity.

No comments:

Post a Comment