Pages

Friday, March 4, 2011

Jamie's America Easy Twists on Great American Classics and More


I was beyond excited when I heard I was getting a copy of Jamie Oliver's cookbook.
It's been sitting sort of in my living room since the middle of January.  I say sort of because like the last cookbook I was to review, this one got snatched up by my mother.  I had to wrestle it back (Jay Lethal would have been impressed)


It's laid out like a scrapbook, filled with photos of the trip and personal stories on how he came across each and every recipe.
What a true cookbook should be like.

I was disappointed by the lack of vegetarian offerings in this. Don't get me wrong, there are a number of them, but sadly, like many of the recipes, they're ingredients lists contain things that are difficult to find at times where I live.
I'm still trying to figure out what to replace the alligator meat with for even a basic switch off, let alone turning something into a vegetarian version.

The book is extremely region specific, and really only appeals as a "theme" to anyone not in the U.S. or here in Canada.  But even that said, there are items in these recipes that can not be found in Canada.

I did find the paring of wines with each recipe to be a bonus.

This is one cookbook I will be coming back to and trying to figure out a few ways around some of the more interesting recipes, but over all, I was just not impressed.

2 comments:

  1. I guess in a way it is more of a tour-book of his experience. He included the recipes he came across and a lot of the food he ate was wild and unusual which does not make for the most practical cookbook. I can't imagine a lot of opportunities to eat vegetarian in the U.S. I tried in Disney World once to get a breakfast special but told them to hold the meat and they thought I was an alien! Still, not a good cookbook for vegetarians, what a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzie... I couldn't believe the amount of meat in it. But like I said, there are so many items you just can not get in Canada. Like the alligator and cactus. Okay, the cactus you might be able to find but it will cost you a lot.

    ReplyDelete