Pages

Monday, October 19, 2009

The Kitten Diaries by Conny Manero

This is a short two story book that is written from the point of view of two kittens, Chanel and Queeny.

Though it is a short read, it's what I would call a reality read.
Warm, fun and witty, the points it makes are serious ones.

In the first part, Chanel's Story, we witness what it would feel like to be the last one picked for adoption and the uncertainty it would bring.
Even though it talks about how pets stores can become over populated, you can't help but feel that children will identify with it on a few emotional levels and see themselves as the "scruffy kitten". It is a lovely way to show that everyone has a purpose on this earth and that everyone is entitled to love.

In the second part, Queeny's Diary, we view the three weeks Queeny has to spend with friends while her owners are on vacation. It's seen as an adventure in a very light hearted way. The idea that Queeny would like the look of bowling balls was a neat little tug that seemed to then flow into setting up a connection with her new part time family.

I have to admit, I liked the lighter tone of Queeny's Dairy little more then the seriousness of Chanel's Story. Which is a good thing considering I got begged by my niece and nephew to read the "kitty book" after they spotted it on my endtable. They too liked the scenes of Queeny rolling around the floor with the yarn.
I am interested in seeing if there is a sequel in the works, as there were a few other characters whom I feel would be interesting to hear from. Would love to know what Husky was thinking during Queeny's visit.

1 comment:

  1. I always like valuable 'messages' linked into the books I share with our grandchildren. KD sounds like the perfect book to order as I begin my holiday shopping.

    Diane

    ReplyDelete